Yesterday I had the privilege of attending a Virgin Voyages cruise line boot camp. This is a training session informing travel advisors about all the ins and outs of their cruise line.
Virgin Voyages is a new cruise line brought to you by Richard Branson. And it looks fantastic! I was expecting just another addition to the cruise line roster. But Virgin Voyages is going to be a bit different!
Two things that tipped me off to this immediately are:
- It’s adults 18 and over only. Leave the family at home for an adults only break. Or if you don’t have kids, you won’t have a ship overrun by children!
- The new ships will do shorter itineraries. This is a big thing in my opinion. Most cruise lines that offer 4-5 night sailings are using much older vessels. With Virgin, you can do a cruise as short as 3 nights on a brand new cruise ship.
Here are some other key differences:
- There is no main dining area. And, there are no buffets! There will be 20 eateries where you can pick and choose. No extra charge! It’s included in your cruise fare.
- Beverages included like soda, coffee, tea’s, and juice. Alcohol is extra.
- Gratuities are included. For everything. Your meals, drinks, cabin…
- WiFi is included. Internet at sea can get pricey but it’s nice to not have to pay for this. There is a premium version they sell if you want to stream video. But having the free version to keep connected is great!
- Skipping the Broadway shows for more contemporary and immersive entertainment.
- Parties, parties parties. Pool parties. Night clubs.
- DJ’s on board! From the likes of Diplo and Mark Ronson (both super famous DJ’s)
- Exclusive beach club in Bimini. It’s a tranquil environment and magnificent!
All this and I haven’t yet mentioned the ship! Named the Scarlet Lady, it holds 2,770 passengers with 1,160 crew. It’s a high tech ship that’s sleek and modern.
- Cabins transform from sleep mode to day mode giving you more space to live and sleep.
- Rainshower with real glass doors (not the plasticky shower curtains).
- Handmade hammock on your terrace for zen like relaxation.
Suites take it up a notch! Categorized as Rock Star and Mega Rock Star.
Rock Star Suites:
- Your very own concierge agent called “Rockstar Agent”
- Better and stronger WiFi
- Private transfers
- In room bar (the first round is on Virgin!)
- Priority access to all restaurants
- VIP access to the Beach Club
Mega Rock Star Suites:
- Daily bar tab is on Virgin
- Personalized bottomless bar
- Thermal Suite daily access
- Hair and makeup done daily
- Prime location on deck 15 near Richard’s Rooftop (A chic top deck private club exclusively for suite guests)
- Suites range from 570 SQFT to 2,147 SQFT
Virgin calls their guests “Sailors” and the travel agents who serve them “First Mates”.
Sailings start on April 1st of 2020 from Miami to the Caribbean on 4 night to 7 night sailings and in the Mediterranean during the summer months.
In 2021, Virgin will introduce their second ship. The ship is named Valiant Lady and will sail from Barcelona!
If you have any questions, please feel free to call me at 305-814-8184 or send questions or comments here!