When you hear the words “wine river cruise”, you automatically think France’s Bordeaux region, Burgundy and Provence in the south of France, a Rhine or Danube river cruise with their hillside vineyards.
These certainly are great experiences and I am a huge fan of a European river cruise. If you have not yet done one, put it on your bucket list as they are an unforgettable vacation.
BUT, you don’t have to go that far to enjoy a wine themed river cruise. There’s a spectacular one right in our backyard! Uncruise has a wine cruise that sails the Columbia River and the Snake River. Cruise in the footsteps of two legendary explorers, Lewis and Clark.
The areas along the Columbia and Snake rivers are like California’s Sonoma Valley winemaking region. It is a blossoming wine region and the quality of wine is astounding! There are new award-winning wineries opening all the time.
Uncruise has a wine themed river cruise called Rivers of Wine and it’s a 7-night cruise aboard the S.S. Legacy that starts and ends in Portland, Oregon. Portland is a vibrant city in the Pacific Northwest with magnificent coffee shops, brunch spots, food trucks, microbreweries, book stores and some amazing natural scenery of the Willamette River and Mount Hood. Worth a visit!
Highlights of the “Rivers of Wine” cruise:
- Sommelier and guest wine expert join you on board for the week
- Winery tours and tastings
- 5 Washington and Oregon AVAs: Columbia Gorge, Walla Walla, Red Mountain, Columbia Valley, Willamette Valley (An AVA basically requires that 85% or more of the wine is derived from grapes grown within the boundaries of the area)
- Lunch at Terra Blanca Winery & Estate Vineyard
- Maryhill Museum and Winery tour and tasting
- Explore Palouse Falls canyon and Multnomah Falls
- Discover Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area
- Watch for Wildlife along the way
The S.S. Legacy is a beautiful ship that’s a replica of a turn of the century coastal gold rush steamer. Featuring elegant carved wooden cabinetry, a well-stocked whiskey saloon, and spacious Owner’s Suite.
- Hood River Springhouse Cellar Winery, Columbia River Gorge (show pics)
- Hood Winery, Columbia River Gorge
- Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area
- Basel Cellars Estate Winery, Walla, Walla Washington
- Dunham Cellars, Walla Walla – Small unique winery
- The town of Walla Walla is wonderful! You’ll want to do a walking tour.
- Palouse Falls
- Walter Clore Wine & Culinary Center – a great place to taste wines from the region
- Terra Blanca Winery & Vineyard, Red Mountain. One of the largest wineries in the area. You’ll get to go down to the barrel caves.
- The Dalles & Willamette Valley
- Hawks View Cellars
- Ponzi Vineyards
Uncruise is an adventure cruise line that’s been in the adventure travel business since 1996. They specialize in soft adventure travel… With activities like kayaking, snorkeling, paddle boarding, hiking and more. Nothing too extreme, but active adventure is the name of the game.
The Rivers of Wine itinerary, is an exception. It’s more about the wine than the activities. You will still be able to do some hiking, but mostly hiking through vineyards and wineries. If you want to sail the Columbia and Snake rivers but prefer a bit more adventure and activity, Uncruise does have itinerary options for that as well.
If you’ve sailed or toured this region before, please let us know what your experiences were below. We’d love to hear about it!
If you have any questions, please feel free to call or submit a question to us here.